Wednesday, May 06, 2009

GOP open to gay supreme

At least that's what I take away from this story.
[C]onservative leaders have warned the nomination of a gay or lesbian justice could complicate Obama's effort to confirm a replacement for Souter, and another Republican senator on Wednesday warned a gay nominee would be too polarizing.

"I know the administration is being pushed, but I think it would be a bridge too far right now," said GOP Chief Deputy Whip John Thune. "It seems to me this first pick is going to be a kind of important one, and my hope is that he'll play it a little more down the middle. A lot of people would react very negatively."

Look at what he says; it's filled with all that secret code language we hear so much about. "I think it would be a bridge too far right now." That means he'd be open to it later. "[T]his first pick is going to be a kind of important one, and my hope is that he'll play it a little more down the middle." Only the first pick has to be "down the middle." That means he'll be okay if the rest of Obama's appointments are true liberals. Who says the Republicans aren't willing to accept the judgment of the voters and play ball with the new administration. A new era of bipartisan cooperation and compromise is upon us. Can't you feel the love?

No comments: